Aberfeldy Community Council Minutes – July 2022


In the Lesser Hall, Aberfeldy Town Hall, and by ZOOM.

Tuesday 5th July 2022 at 7.30pm 



Present: Victor Clements (Chair), Lorraine Reed (Vice Chair), Elaine Fraser Murdoch (Secretary), Val Ferguson.

In attendance: Provost Xander McDade, Cllr John Duff, Cathy Pearson (Aberfeldy Triathlon), Gordon Leighton (Feldy Roo), Alistair Smith (Heartland Radio) and three members of the public.


Jean Duff, Richard Pearson (Aberfeldy Triathlon)

Minutes of previous meeting

The minutes were taken as read, proposed by VF and seconded by EFM.

Matters Arising

John Duff was Convenor of the Common Good Fund. They had 2 X applications at last meeting for funds. As usual, the fund is only paying out the interest earned each year, and this has now been done.

Both the lease and the operating licence for the caravan park do not have any clause which prevents selling goods from the site office.  The CC can register an interest with PKC to have a greater say in particular issues in future. Will send Community Involvement letter to PKC.

There was a tree growing out of the side of Wade’s Bridge. VC to check and forward evidence to PKC.

Crime Prevention and Community Safety

No matters arising. 

Aberfeldy Triathlon

The event will take place on Sunday 21st August, with Drummond Hill race taking place the day before. There will be 550 participants. There had been some negativity concerning the event in 2021, so the race will finish in Wade’s Park this year, and not at the Campus. However, in general, it is a well thought off event which is now well associated with the town, and an economic boost to the area.

Riverside Path

The Upper Tay Paths Group/ Feldy Roo are currently trying to get planning consent for this, and this will include appropriate environmental assessments. The process is frustrating and expensive, but they hope to be able to start the work by early autumn. The handle on the gate by the roadside may need to be adjusted to allow wheelchair access.

Focus Topics:


Infection levels were now very high. There were drop-in vaccination sessions in Pitlochry, although they have not been well advertised with little warning. There is information on the NHS Tayside Facebook page.


There have been over 300 replies to the housing survey, as well as non residents and businesses. The Aberfeldy Housing Trust is pleased with the feedback, with the results being available shortly.

A query had been made to the CC over whether the community should be registering an interest in the Cottage Hospital site, but it was emphasized that such a move will trigger a process that needs to be completed in c 9 months, so it is important to be well prepared in advance.

There was no information yet on the status of the planning application that ad been submitted.

No Mow/ No Spray

Mary MacDougal had been carrying out ecological surveys on the no-mow areas this summer.

It was agreed that VC/ EFM/MMc would meet up to discuss holding a garden competition for the town this summer, aimed at encouraging wildlife friendly gardening practices. Feldy in Flower would no longer be running their competition, and this opens up the opportunity to do something different now. A proposal will be developed and circulated to other CC members, potentially for judging this autumn. There will likely be two categories, including one for children or small gardens.

Road Safety

Nothing specific to report. The stolen pop up police officer had not been recovered.

Griffin Community Benefit Panel 

Micro grants

One micro-grant to decide after meeting.

Main Fund

Nothing to report. Endowment fund still in development.



LR will be attending an event at Taymouth Castle where the new owners will be setting out their vision for the future.

Although there is a lot of disquiet about events in Kenmore at the moment, Kenmore Community Council is broadly supportive of what is going on. There have been a number of houses bought up in Aberfeldy however, and this is casing problems for young people getting on the housing ladder.


Nothing else to report.


Nothing else to report


No planning matters.

Cllr Reports

Provost McDade outlined the significant financial problems that PKC would have to deal with in the next few years, and this was becoming increasingly difficult to avoid. PKC were looking to transform some services and facilities and ways of working.

Cllr Duff reported a ScotGov cut in funding of 7%. The other big issue was the development of a National Care Service, in which a significant number of services and jobs could be transferred out of PKC control. The role of the council would then become much smaller.

Cllrs were now getting invited again to a lot of local events and celebrations, so an air of normality was returning after COVID.


There was no other business.

Date of Next Meeting     Tues 6th September 2022 

Scroll to Top