We're always on the lookout for local news relevant to the communities of Highland Perthshire.
Have you got a news story you think we should know about?

MSP Murdo Fraser Encourages Local People to Have Their say After Storm Arwen

Irreplaceable trees among thousands lost in Storm Arwen

One of Highland Perthshire’s regional MSP’s is encouraging local people to have their say in the aftermath of Storm Arwen.

Murdo Fraser, MSP for Mid Scotland and Fife, is offering to help collate feedback from constituents who were left without power, in some cases for several days, during the storm.

This is part of a review by Ofgem, the energy regulator, to analyse what can be done to prevent power cuts in the future.

Mr Fraser said: “I am encouraging residents in Perthshire to come forward to share their experiences, so they can be fed into the review by Ofgem. This is a good opportunity for those who were affected by the storm to get their point of view across.

“I know that there was a great community spirit shown in many areas of Perthshire following the storm, with villages and communities opening up impromptu resilience centres. I also must praise the speed of response from Perth and Kinross Council staff who helped vulnerable residents who were struggling to cope following the storm.”

Ofgem says the report will be published by 31 March 2022, with a commitment to publish an interim report within 8 weeks.

Business and Energy Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng said: “While I’m pleased all affected customers are now back online, it is completely unacceptable so many were left without power for so long. There is an urgent need to identify and resolve a number of issues which came to light during the Storm Arwen response, and the review I’ve commissioned, alongside Ofgem’s, will ensure any failings are addressed.”

Mr Fraser continued: “This review by Ofgem is very welcome as they will speak to and seek input from customers who were directly affected – particularly those that had to endure long power outages, as well as local authorities.”

Anyone looking to get in touch can contact: Murdo.fraser.msp@parliament.scot

More information on claiming compensation can be found on: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-compensation-rules-power-cut-or-supply-problem

Scroll to Top