Highland Perthshire in Level 2 of new Corona Virus Restrictions

From Perth and Kinross Council

Latest updates on public health
The latest updates on public health advice for coronavirus can be found on the NHS Inform website and a free helpline has been set up for those who do not have symptoms but are looking for general health advice: 0800 028 2816.

Protection Level 2 – Frequently Asked Questions
Level 2 restrictions will come into effect in Perth and Kinross on November 2. For full details please visit the Scottish Government website.

Why is Perth and Kinross in Level 2?

The current level for Perth and Kinross has been determined by the Scottish Government in conjunction with public health officials, and in discussion with the city council and others. It reflects a number of local factors, including the prevalence and transmission of Coronavirus (Covid-19) in the area.

Can I see family and friends?

As has been the case for the past few weeks, up to six people from two households can continue to meet outdoors and in hospitality settings such as cafes and restaurants. However, with limited exceptions such as extended households, you should not meet people within your own home.

What does Level 2 mean for travel?

There should be no non-essential travel to areas that are at Level 3 or above (or their equivalents elsewhere in the UK). There are exemptions for people who need to travel into, or out of, these areas for essential work, education, shopping or health reasons. It is also permitted to travel to a Level 3 area for outdoor exercise, shared parenting and to attend weddings and funerals. Transit through the a Level 3 area (eg driving from one area outwith Dundee to another via the Kingsway) is allowed.

Remember that if you are on public transport, you must wear a face covering unless exempt. People should also avoid car sharing with anyone from outside their household wherever possible. Active travel – walking, cycling etc – is encouraged.

What does it mean for work?

Homeworking has been a crucial factor in mitigating the transmission of the virus amongst the general population. Until it is deemed safe for workplaces to reopen, working from home and working flexibly will remain the default for those who can.

Where homeworking is not possible, businesses and organisations are encouraged to manage travel demand through staggered start times and flexible working patterns.

If I live in a Level 3 area but work in Perth and Kinross. What should I do?

The default position remains that anyone who can work from home should continue to do so. If it is essential that you travel to another area for work then you can do so. Avoid car sharing where possible and, if you have to use public transport, wear a face covering unless you are exempt.

If I live in Perth and Kinross but work in a Level 3 area. What should I do?

As with the above, the default position remains that anyone who can work from home should continue to do so. If it is essential that you travel into the city for work then you can do so. Avoid car sharing where possible and, if you have to use public transport, wear a face covering unless you are exempt.

What does Level 2 mean for schools?

Keeping schools open for the safe education of young people is a priority. Under the Level 2 restrictions, schools remain open with enhanced protective measures in place.

I have younger children. What childcare arrangements are allowed?

Early learning facilities and formal childcare can continue to operate, with enhanced protective measures in place. Informal childcare is allowed with restrictions on numbers.

What about universities and colleges?

The Level 2 protection level means that universities and colleges must offer blended learning. Please contact your university or college directly for further information.

I am on the shielding list. What does this mean for me?

While this is not a return to the restrictions which were in place during lockdown, you should try to reduce contact with others. Limit meeting people outside your own household and avoid indoor public spaces as much as possible. It’s important that you strictly follow the guidelines when shopping and limit the number of times you go to the shops, visiting at quieter times wherever possible. If you can’t work from home, speak to your employer to ensure all appropriate protections are in place. If these cannot be implemented, discuss getting a fit note with your GP or clinician.

All of this is advice – please consider which level of protection is right for you. If you require assistance, please contact the helpline on 0800 111 4000.

If I have a child who is on the shielding list. What should I do?

Parents or guardians should discuss with their GP or clinician whether children on the shielding list should still attend school or formal childcare.

I’m not on the shielding list but am in need of support. What should I do?

Lifeline support is available to people in Perth and Kinross who have been asked to self-isolate under measures prevent the spread of Coronavirus, or who are otherwise vulnerable and in urgent need of help.

Anyone who needs support for the supply of essentials such as groceries and medicines during the period of self-isolation should apply online or contact the Council on 0345 30 111 00.

What sport and exercise is permitted under Level 2 restrictions?

All indoor and outdoor exercise is allowed, except indoor contact sports for over 18s (professional sports have an exemption). Please continue to exercise regularly if you can, taking advantage of the many green spaces in our area, but avoid crowded areas wherever possible.

Will the shops remain open?

All shops can remain open. Customers and staff should continue to follow the public health guidance on face coverings and social distancing.

What does it mean for cafes, pubs and restaurants?

Cafes, pubs and restaurants can open, with some time restrictions. Alcohol can be sold outdoors, or indoors if served with a main meal. Takeaway alcohol and food sales can continue.

Hotels and other accommodation can continue to be able to serve evening meals to residents.

What about leisure and entertainment?

Cinemas and amusement arcades can remain open. Soft play, funfairs, indoor bowling, theatres, snooker/pool halls, music venues, casinos, bingo halls, nightclubs and adult entertainment must close. Stadia will be closed to spectators. Drive in events are permitted.

Can I get my hair cut or visit a beautician?

Close contact services, such as hairdressers, barbers and beauticians can remain open, except mobile services. Remember that customers should wear a face covering at all times within the premises.

Are driving lessons allowed?

Yes, these are permitted under the current protection level.

I am planning to visit a Level 3 area for work or leisure. Is this allowed?

People should only be travelling into Level 3 areas for essential purposes. Hotels, B&Bs etc can open, but only for essential, work-related use. The guidance discourages the use of accommodation for leisure/tourism purposes by people from outwith the area.

I own a business which is significantly affected by these restrictions. What help is available?

A grant of £2,000 or £3,000 (depending on rateable value) is available for businesses required to close by law, payable every four weeks for the duration protective measures are in place. A hardship grant of £1,400 or £2,100 (depending on rateable value) is also available for businesses that remain open but are specifically required to modify their operations by protective measures.

A range of other advice and support is available. For further information please see the business section below.

When will the level change?

The levels throughout Scotland will be reviewed weekly. However, it is likely that levels will generally remain in place for at least two to four weeks to give time for measures to have an effect on the transmission of the virus.

You can also find up to date information for Tayside on the Tayside Cares website.

Wearing of face coverings
Most people must wear a face mask or covering when in retail premises or on public transport.

However, those with certain health conditions or hidden disabilities (as well as children under 5) are exempt from this.

People may have an acceptable reason not to wear a face covering if:

They have a health condition where a face covering would be inappropriate because it would cause pain, severe distress or anxiety
They cannot apply a covering and wear it in the proper manner safely and consistently
They need to take medication
They need to communicate with another who relies on lip reading
They need to eat or drink
They are a child under the age of five
More information about exemptions is available from the Scottish Government website, where you can also download an Exemption from Face Covering Badge for your mobile phone or to print out.

Scroll to Top