We're always on the lookout for local news relevant to the communities of Highland Perthshire.
Have you got a news story you think we should know about?

Cost of Living Support Available in Highland Perthshire

Financial support is available for local people living in Highland Perthshire and the rest of Perth and Kinross.

The Perth and Kinross Council is starting a new fund which is aiming to tackle financial insecurity, essential needs and priority debts over winter.

A spokesperson for the Perth and Kinross Council said: “Rising energy, fuel and food costs are having a significant financial impact on people in our communities. However, if you are struggling to pay your household bills there is a range of support and help available in Perth and Kinross.

“If you are struggling, please ask for help. We understand that it’s not your fault, and the Council and our community partners are here to support you through this.”

Various forms of financial support are available, including housing costs, support for children – such as free school meals – and many more.

Photo Credit: Photomix

The council’s housing service has put aside money to help tenants who are finding it difficult to pay their rent.

Support is available for council tenants who are struggling to meet their rent, anyone in this position can contact their local housing team for more information about support which is available.

There are also two other forms of support available, both the discretionary housing payment and tenancy sustainment fund can help go towards housing costs.

To access this support, local people in Perth and Kinross can contact their local housing team. Residents in Perth and Kinross can contact 01738 476000 and select option 2 to get in touch.

Photo Credit: Sharon McCutcheon

Parents can also access support from the council too. Children in primary 1 to primary 5 have access to free school meals, however, some older children can claim certain similar benefits.

As well as receiving support from the council, anyone living in Scotland, who (or their partner) is receiving particular benefits and is raising a child under 6 years old is eligible for the Scottish child payment.

This is a payment of £20 each week which aims to give young children in Scotland a head start from an early age.

Eligible parents and guardians must receive payments from at least universal credit, child tax credit, income support, pension credit, working tax credit, income-based jobseeker’s allowance (JSA) or income-related employment and support allowance (ESA).

More information about benefits available in Highland Perthshire, and the rest of Perth and Kinross, can be found on: https://www.pkc.gov.uk/costofliving

Scroll to Top