Perth and Kinross Health and Social Care Partnership will be holding a Dementia Café awareness event, next Wednesday, the 5th of October 2022 from 10am until 12:30pm at the North Church in Perth.
The dementia café is a monthly gathering where people with dementia their family, caregivers and friends can be together in a safe and welcoming environment, with information, advice and support available at each session.
During the event information stalls staffed by a range of organisations and services that can support people with dementia, their families and carers will be running. Among those attending will be Alzheimer’s Scotland, Miller Hendry Solicitors, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, Safer Community Wardens, Police Scotland, Perth and Kinross Council’s Welfare Rights Team, NHS Tayside Occupational Therapy, and PKAVS Carers Support.
The Dementia Café offers:
- people living with dementia and their carers an opportunity to spend quality time together and with other people in similar circumstances to their own.
- acceptance and recognition of the difficulties that dementia poses for people.
- a therapeutic (in the widest sense) culture in which people can talk openly about their problems should they wish to do so.
- reduced social isolation for people with dementia, their carers and families.
- peer support and relationship-building between people who attend the café.
- information about dementia, ways of managing and coping with it and wider support available to people by services in the community.
The event next week will be the first in three years following the disruption caused by the pandemic.
Anyone who is affected by dementia, friends, and family are welcome to attend, with free refreshments provided.
For more details about the Dementia Café visit https://www.pkc.gov.uk/dementiacafe.