We're always on the lookout for local news relevant to the communities of Highland Perthshire.
Have you got a news story you think we should know about?

New Scheme to Collet Illegal Offensive Weapons Launched

Knife Steel Butterfly Knife  - RJA1988 / Pixabay

The Scottish Government has launched a scheme encouraging anyone in Scotland who possesses an offensive weapon to hand it in to a listed Police Station. Residents of Highland Perthshire can hand them in at the Pitlochry Police Station or in Perth.

The Offensive Weapons Surrender and Compensation scheme has been launched ahead of a law change in Scotland which will mean that from the 1st of December 2022 it will become illegal to possess in private an offensive weapon in Scotland.

Whilst it is already illegal to carry an offensive weapon in public, up until now some offensive weapons have been allowed to be owned so long as they are kept at a private home and not taken out in public.

The Government have released a list of weapons that will be made illegal to own as well a list of the police stations that the public can surrender their weapons to, both lists can be found on the Scottish Government website. The list includes weapos such as Butterfly Knives, Knuckledusters, Blowpipes and Disguised Knives.

The scheme will run from the 1st of July 2022 until the 30th of September 2022. Anyone in possession of an offensive weapon who does hand it into a police station will have the option to remain anonymous, however if the person wishes to receive compensation for the weapon they will need to provide some form of photographic ID, either a passport or a driving licence. If the person cannot provide a photographic ID they can also provide 2 pieces of non-photographic evidence to prove their identity.

Anyone wishing to receive compensation for their weapon will also need to provide proof that they are the legal owner of the weapon, such as a receipt or documentation providing proof that the item was legally transferred to them. Anybody looking to receive compensation for their weapon will also need to fill out a claim form which can be found on the mygov.scot website.

All further information, such as what happens after you hand in your weapon and any legal reasons why you may be allowed to keep your weapon, can be found by visiting https://www.mygov.scot/surrender-bladed-weapons.

Scroll to Top