Community Police Officers will be in Pitlochry at the Library Car Park from 6pm till 9pm on Sunday 1st of May 2022 alongside local partners.
The officers are working across Perth and Kinross on community buses as part of Police Scotland’s current campaign which is focussed on tackling Hate Crime.
Members of the public are welcome to come along and speak with the officers who will be available to note complaints, give advice on a wide range of issues including Hate Crime or discuss any local community issues.
Police Scotland are encouraging everyone to report incidents of hate that they experience or witness.
Being targeted for your disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or transgender identity could be considered a hate crime. You can also be targeted for more than one characteristic or perceived characteristic.
Hate crimes can include but are not limited to:
- verbal abuse
- damage to property
- threatening behaviour
- online abuse.
Here is a summary of what will happen when you report a hate crime to Police Scotland:
- We will listen to you, your report will be investigated and we will offer you victim support
- You will be contacted by an officer either by phone, in person or by your preferred method of contact
- Police Scotland will take appropriate action and you will be kept informed
- If Police Scotland has enough evidence, the person responsible will be charged with the offence and reported to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service
- If there is not enough evidence we will still record your report as a hate incident and offer you support*
- Once your case is with the Crown Office & Procurator Fiscal service you will be kept updated on the progress of your case.
*It is important to still report non-criminal hate incidents. This helps us get a clearer picture of what is happening in Scotland and where to focus our attention.
You can contact Police Scotland and report hate crime in the following ways:
By phoning 999 (emergency) 101 (non-emergency)
In person at any police station
By completing a hate crime reporting form – https://www.scotland.police.uk/secureforms/c3/
At a Third Party Reporting Centre – https://www.scotland.police.uk/contact-us/reporting-hate-crime/third-party-reporting-centres/
Contact Scotland BSL – https://contactscotland-bsl.org/
Keep Scotland Safe App – https://iammescotland.co.uk/about-keep-safe
Reporting Hate Crime BSL Video
Reporting Hate Crime Gaelic Video