A firm family favourite in our house, the original recipe calls it Frog Soup! It’s very easy and economical to make. I pretty much judge by eye ingredient amounts, if there were six of us I would use about 500g peas and 3 large potatoes.
Potatoes help the soup thicken. Follow stock cube instructions, don’t skimp on stock cubes. As usual my lazy steps are in brackets.
Peas are a great source of vitamin D as well as vitamins B1 and B6. They are also rich in folic acid and soluble fibre which helps control cholesterol.
Inspired by an original recipe in The Mumsnet Top Bananas! recipe book
- splash of olive oil
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 large potato finely chopped
- 1 litre veg stock (this works well with chicken or ham stock too)
- 280g frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add leek and fry for 5 minutes until soft
2. Add the potato and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Pour stock over the vegetables, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. (I have never separated steps 3 and 4, your potato will cook very quickly, this also saves cooking time)
4. Check the potato is tender, add the peas and simmer for 5 more minutes.
5. Using a handheld blender, blend soup until smooth. Season to taste.optional a little grated cheese or creme fraiche can be added once plated