Last week we explored the 1969 Forestry Commission Jubilee Cookbook. Recipes included marshmallows soaked in sherry and a treacle/laudanum combo that would blow your socks off! My mother in law and my daughter made the date slice recipe shared last week. Do you have a copy of the book? There were several print runs, it was very popular at the time. This week’s recipe is a budget busting hot pot from the same book.
- 1/2lb skinless sausages or cooked meat leftovers
- 1 tin baked beans (I used curried beans)
- 1lb of cooked potatoes
- 1oz sliced onion
- 1 heaped teaspoon curry powder OR 1 dessertspoon chutney (I omitted this as I used curried beans and, imo, yuck to the chutney!)
- Cut sausages into pieces. Fry the sausages with the onion.
- Add the potatoes, beans and curry powder OR chutney (if using).
- Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with toast if desired. A variation could be one tin of tomatoes and one tin of haricot beans and a stock cube for flavour.