Well, desperation leads to invention. Okay, maybe not invention as there’s eleventy million similar recipes out there but I created my own soup recipe to help with the glut of spinach and courgette that we have at the moment. It’s not exciting but it’s tasty and the veg is in season atm. We served it with the soda bread rolls from last weeks’ recipe and it was lovely. Bonus, couldn’t taste the spinach! 😂 Remember I’m no cook so feel free to do what I did with the recipes I found online and completely change things to use up what you have!
Spinach and Courgette Soup
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large courgette, chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped (I used medium sized potatoes)
- 160g spinach, stalks cut out (only if your spinach has thick stalks, I folded the leaves in half and sliced the spines off. I think they’re bitter so even though the soup was blended, I didn’t want them)
- 2 litres stock of your choice (veg or chicken work well)
- Chilli flakes to taste, a pinch is fine
- Small carton single cream
- Pepper to taste
- Dried Potato (smash) if needed to thicken
- Fry the onions and courgettes until translucent. Add the rest of the veg, the stock and chilli flakes. Bring to the boil, simmer for 20 mins. Blend
- Thicken with a couple of tablespoons of dried potato if required. Add pepper to taste. Add cream.
- Serve with crusty bread or rolls.